Supporting regiments of the British Armed Forces
Regiments
Need some Help?
Any questions should directed through our contact page, alternatively we can be contacted on the telephone number listed below:
Tel: 0845 519 7081
Find us on Facebook: facebook
royal welsh on displaysoldiers get out of a large helicoptera line of soldiers

The Royal Welsh

Please find below a brief description about ‘The Royal Welsh’.  If you would like further information then please click on the following link: www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/3472.aspx

The Royal Welsh (R WELSH) (Welsh Y Cymry Brenhinol) was formed on St David's Day, 1 March 2006.

The Royal Welsh consists of two regular battalions, plus a TA battalion.  The former regiment names are part of the battalion titles (in brackets):

  • 1st Battalion, The Royal Welsh (Royal Welch Fusiliers) - a light infantry battalion based at the Dale Barracks Chester.
  • 2nd Battalion, The Royal Welsh (Royal Regiment of Wales) - an armoured infantry battalion based at Tidworth.
  • 3rd Battalion, The Royal Welsh (TA) (formerly the Royal Welsh Regiment) - TA Battalion which includes the Regimental Band.

The Royal Welsh Regimental Association

For Nearly one hundred years, comrades associations through their network of local branches have provided a focal point for former members of the regiment to meet regularly, and co-ordinate support for former soldiers of the regiment who find themselves in difficult circumstances through illness and family hardship.  The Associations also provide the link with the serving soldiers giving comrades the opportunity of visiting the regular battalions even when serving overseas. An example of these associations is the 24th, South Wales Borderers Comrades Club which was formed on Rorke’s Drift Day (22nd/23rd January) 1909 At Oudenarde Barracks, Aldershot; the Weekend included a reunion dinner hosted by the Sergeants’ Mess 2nd Battalion. The Comrades Association for the Welch Regiment was formed in January 1911. The Royal Welch Fusiliers Comrades Association first met on 4th October 1912 and the association was formally established by trust deed on 22nd April 1924. The annual membership subscription in those days was 2s 6d (15p). It was not unusual for officers to contribute sizable amounts to what became the beginnings of the regimental benevolent fund.   Following the First World War there was great pressure on this fund. There was no modern welfare state and work opportunities for the former soldiers in Wales were very limited during the depression years of the 1920’s and 1930’s. The (Royal) British legion was still in its infancy having only been formed in 1922. It was therefore not unusual to see a payment of 5’s 0d (25p) from the fund being made to former soldiers, finding themselves on hard times, for the purchase of a pair of working boots. Today, the regimental benevolent fund thrives through the ‘day’s pay’ scheme.

Website Design and CMS by Adept Digital